The winter has really arrived here. Do you remember the picture I posted on January 8 ? Well, these were shot on a couple of days ago:
Yes, it’s cold in Hamburg. And snowy, which is highly unusual. People here usually spend December placing bets on whether it’ll snow before or after Christmas, or whether it’ll snow at all during the holiday. I’m telling you, Mother Earth is getting angry at us. But I’m trying to reduce my imprint by sewing my daughter’s and my own clothes as much as possible so I’m at least doing my part, am I not? And I’ve been a fan of the Toyota Prius for more than a decade, way before the hype about ecological cars began. If only I could convince my roommate. But I disgress. The second of my pants series for DD is from Ottobre, I think it’s the seventh pattern I make from this particular issue. It’s called the raspberry pants. I don’t really know why, maybe because she looks like a raspberry with the pants on?
They’re loose-fit pants with bottom leg cuffs with plackets at the front and bellows pockets at the sides. They have a few stitched in pleats on the front and back and the waist is elasticated for easy dressing.
I’ve been eyeing this pattern ever since I got the magazine, about 2 years ago. But I was intimidated by it. Now my skills are better and I was able to sew this up without any problem. There’s a big but though (no big butt lol… sorry, feeling silly:)): it’s a time-consuming one. All that topstitching. Not that I tried to make the topstiching perfect. There’s just a lot of it. I chose to make it in a contrasting color to pep up the pants and deliberately did not use topstitching thread, because like I said, I was not aiming at perfect topstitching and did not want to emphasize a non-perfect topstitching with a thicker thread. The fact that I made french seams and often had several layers to sew through did not make it any easier (nor faster). The inside:
As you can see, you don’t see anything, because I used a thread the same color of the fabric in the bobbin for the topstitching.
The pocket flaps are lined with red poplin:
The side pieces are cut on the bias, which plays a bit with the stripes in the cord, which I like. However, it also means that they stretch, while the other pieces don’t so in the end my side pieces were about 1 cm longer than the neighboring pieces at the waistband. I just cut away the excess. The bias side pieces also means that this is a serious fabric eater. Aw hole meter of fabric for toddler’s pants is rather a lot.
Also, be aware that there’s a mistake in the instructions. At the beginning, they will tell you to sew the front and back piece together, it should read the front and side piece. Someone at Ottobre did not pay attention while copy/pasting.
I embellished these with ribbons here and there and used colored snaps in place of regular buttons. They’re more child-friendly and these snaps fasteners from Prym are of very good quality. They’re not painted so they won’t get scratches or flakes from playing or washing… or so I hope.