Skip to content

Look Ma! I made a bra!

July 10, 2014

I made a bra:

Medium support and coverage. Road tested: it’s not a sports bra, but I can definitely run to get into the bus or subway and not have to readjust or fear that anything “spills out”. The cover fabric is a 2-way see-through white cotton jersey, which I think goes well with the black foam lining. Fit is spot on. At least now. When I first tried it, it looked like the cups were wayyyy too big. Until I significantly shortened the band. So I had to unpick and resew the hook and eye in the back. And I got this:

The instructions? There are no instructions, just an “order of construction list”, not really suited for the beginner I am. So I resorted to this -great- video tutorial. I was expecting this to be a quick project. Maybe I need to quit watching TV. This bra took approximately half a day to make.

Before cutting, make sure that all pattern pieces that must be joined are joined. This is not always clear in the instructions and I realized too late that the unnumbered piece of paper was actually supposed to be joined to pattern piece 4 before cutting the fabric. These pieces should be named 4a and 4b instead, IMO. It may be obvious if you’ve made a bra before but to me, it wasn’t.

Also, if you’re a newbie like me, you might not spot the difference between the boning casing and the underwire casing, and then notice that they have a right and a wrong side. I assumed the wrong side, that goes under the skin is the velvety one, for comfort and for a better “sit” or “grip” of the bra against the skin, as is the case with the foam lining.

The instructions suggest that you cut a slightly longer bra band in order to adjust for fit as needed (as shown here). Be aware that if you do that, the content of the Basic Kit Plus from MakeBra may only allow you to sew one bra (instead of 2), at least if you’re making a bigger size ( I made 90D). I based myself on logics and figured, since I need a FBA, chances are good that my “bone structure” (bra band) is rather slightly small compared to what one might expect based on my cup size. In fact, I think the next version will be a sister size, probably a 85DD.

The only dislike? Not really wearable as t-shirt bra, because the seams of the cups are visible. This might be due to the fact that the pieces of upper fabrics are zigzag together instead of sewn with a straight stitch. If someone has more clue than me, please speak up.

I already ordered other patterns from MakeBra, as well as some more supplies. I want to test patterns with more or less support and coverage. I may be hooked on bra making (pun intended).

Great post on bra fitting issues

3 Comments leave one →
  1. sewbussted permalink
    July 10, 2014 13:20

    I have to get on the bra making wagon!!! Yours looks wonderful. This is one that deserves a big, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!


  2. July 10, 2014 21:17

    I’m very impressive – it’s definitely not easy to sew a bra. Wow!!!


  3. July 15, 2014 11:15

    If that is your first bra, it is pretty good. Of course some things need a novice to go through instructions so that something that isn’t obvious to you (because you are experienced). I used to have this problem when talking to our tech people… they would miss a simple ‘enter’ and I’d be lost. So obvious to them but not to me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: