Skip to content

In Extremis – Coral Bamboo Shoot Peplum Top

November 12, 2012

I might have sewn with DN on my lap at times in order to meet the deadline. Don’t judge me.

I fit the top as I went, which, oddly enough, involved removing the extra length from the FBA, which I did at the front shoulder rather than at the waist line. This brought the bust point back up and the fit became immediately much better with the front and back waistline seams matching at the sides, and it didn’t cause any issue at the neckline, as I would have expected. The front facing and lining were changed accordingly. I noticed  after the third attempt to match the markings while setting them in that I should have remove some sleeve cap ease from the sleeves as well. To achieve the best fit with the bamboo shoot, all one has to keep in mind is that the first two slashes in the drafting process were made to the bust points, so that when all is said and done, these should still sit… well, at the bust point. I don’t exclude the fact that I wouldn’t have needed to make this alteration, had I used my Pattern Magic sloper instead of drafting from Burda’s pattern.

I also had to do a sway back alteration, because the waist seam was bunching a lot at the back. I removed about an inch from the bodice at the center back seam, tapering to nothing at the side and leaving the peplum unaltered. Since that was my first time having to do this alteration, I wonder if it’s due to this particular pattern, or if I’ve always needed it and didn’t know, or if my butt is growing bigger. Hum…

I think it’s advisable to line the top, since the back of the shoot looks a bit like a mess, though I don’t think there’s a better way to do it:

Pics of the finished object:

The bamboo shoot is b* to press/iron and the fact that my fabric is a linen blend doesn’t help much. To keep in mind while choosing a fabric for this design.

Here’s the inside/finishing, based on Melissa’s post:

The sides of the peplum are French seams, and the hem is rolled:

I think this bodice would also look great in a dress with a pencil skirt. Really, when the pattern is mastered, the sky is the limit!

Thank you Marianna for a great challenge idea! Have a look at her bamboo shoot tote and her ongoing bamboo shoot top! And at her gathered holes dress! Also, keep an eye on Sew2Pro as she will be posting the projects of the participating Pattern Magicians over the next couple of days.

Edit from 14.11.: the reveal post is up!

7 Comments leave one →
  1. November 12, 2012 17:59

    You did it!
    It’s a lovely top and it looks so professionally done too. The colour is delicious! I hope you get a lot of wear out of it and feel the experience has moved you up a knotch in the drafting tables.

    Thanks so much for taking part (I know this was no ordianary challenge ) and I really appreciate the links above.
    Best
    Marianna

    Like

  2. January 8, 2013 02:17

    I love this top – just recently I stumbled upon something similar for sale from a trendy Australian retailer and it made me think I needed to make one! Now seeing yours I really REALLY need one!

    Like

Trackbacks

  1. Creating A Need – A Marketing Strategy « Lin3arossa
  2. Looking back on 2012 « Lin3arossa
  3. Vogue Early Spring 2015 (picture heavy) | Lin3arossa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: