Skip to content

Work in progress: Wedding dress 1

January 3, 2011

The wedding won’t take place until the end of the year but the bride just got the shoes so I figured I might as well start with her dress. This is how far along I am on the muslin. I had sprayed it with water just before the shoot to have a bit less wrinkles so please ignore the “stains”:

The fabric is a rather stiff cotton with barely noticeable lycra. Here are the changes I made from the get go:

  • added sleeves, obviously; for that purpose, the armholes were raised a bit. I didn’t changed the shoulder seam and hope they won’t be too dropped. I’ll mark the hemline upon the first fitting.
  • graded from 38 in upper bust to 40 at the waist (made the back darts in size 40 and the bust darts in size 38);
  • shortened the bodice 1 cm;
  • lowered the neckline 5 cm, without changing the shoulders; this is the alteration I’m most worried about because I’m not sure she’ll like the look. We’ll see.

I kept the all-in-one facing in place of a lining for the moment and skipped a SBA. I’d rather have the muslin a bit too big on the first try than too snug. The only change planned on the skirt is to skip the box pleats in the back, which should be easy enough to do. I don’t know when I’ll be able to fit it but I’m not doing any further work on this before that’s happened.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. January 4, 2011 11:44

    The bride promises full pics with everything 🙂 and shall visit you for fitting soon.


  2. January 10, 2011 16:20

    can’t wait to see the whole thing! I just love weddings 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: