Anda in red
Anda is a dress pattern BurdaStyle released all the way back in 2007. I remember when I discovered the site in 2008 I wasn’t crazy about this belted tent and as I downloaded all the (then) free patterns I liked, Anda was not part of it. My attention was first drawn to it when BurdaStyle organised the Anda sewalong Minichallenge. It’s then that I downloaded this pattern to add to my ever-growing collection. I was reminded of it a few weeks ago by Grosgrain’s Frock by Friday. Honestly, this is too simple a pattern to keep the bloodiest beginner busy for a whole week. I made it over 2 days with numerous interruptions but I’d say from paper-taping to end, it’s only a few hours. BUT with bias binding involved and casing marking, I’m not sure it’d be appropriate as first sewing project.
I changed the order of construction a bit: instead of bias binding the front and back separately and then joining at the shoulders, I sew one shoulder, bias bound the whole neckline and sew the other shoulder. I would have liked to have inseam pockets but I 1) didn’t have enough fabric left and 2) didn’t want to give up french finishing the side seams.
Even though I loved all the variations I’ve seen of it, I sticked to the pattern, using this 1.50€-1.5m-remnant I got at the Holland fabric market last time. It’s basically the same fabric than my Patrones Freesoul dress, but in red:
I made a pleather obi belt to go with it, pattern is from Burda mag 6-2009 :
Just like Cidell, I halved the ties in length.
Anda is roomy and comfortable. That’s why I like her and that’s why my roommate doesn’t. He says she’s shapeless and looks like I just made some holes for my arms and head in a random piece of fabric… I told him it’s fine HE doesn’t have to wear it. He seems to think that if a garment is not fitted, than it doesn’t fit. Men… *sigh*